CinnamonHollow

Cinnamon Hollow Loves Books

We love reading and showcasing the books we enjoy.

One of those stories that keeps you shrouded in mystery throughout the entire book...

The Vineyard - Michael Hurley

I received a complimentary copy of The Vineyard by Michael Hurley as a member of Beck Valley Book Tours. All opinions are strictly my own.

The Vineyard by Michael Hurley is one of those stories that keeps you shrouded in mystery throughout the entire book. It starts out with a great tragedy of attempted suicide, diagnosis, troubled relationships and the mysterious "fisherman" who seems to be the only one able to find shrimp. And not just any shrimp, but these giant shrimp with the most succulent flavor.

We see three friends go through various heartaches but they never give up on each other. They love each other like sisters and it is that friendship and that bond that gets them through their most difficult trials.

For me, this story started out really great. Michael Hurley did a wonderful job showing us Charlotte's pain over the rejection from her church.Her thoughts about why and how she wants to end her life are very descriptive. We see Dory meet the fisherman and begin to learn more about faith and we see Turner go to any length to protect her best friends. But then it sort of started to drag a little in the middle only to be wrapped up really quickly in the end. I didn't feel like the ending really fit. There's a lot of sexual content that really doesn't need to be there. The story would have been perfectly fine without most of it. We do learn who the fisherman is. We learn his name and where he comes from and I could see that some of the events were being led up to, but from about 3/4 of the story it all just sort of became a jumble and I was left a bit confused.

I don't want to give away any spoilers but I will say that we didn't get to see enough of Turner and the fisherman after one HUGE turn of events. That is the moment that everything went awry and the story seemed to move to quickly for me, leaving out some important parts.

Overall, this was a really great story-line with lovable ladies that get under your skin and make you root for them to be happy. Dory's mom had some pivotal moments in Dory's life as well but the main story was about Dory, Turner and Charlotte (Charlie) as well as the fisherman and the choices they made over the course of one summer that drastically changed ALL their lives.

If you like mysteries, check out The Vineyard by Michael Hurley.

*NOTE: This story does contain adult language and sexual content. Just a warning in case that's not your cup of tea.

Source: http://thecinnamonhollow.com/vineyard-michael-hurley